Troed-y-rhiw (The Foot of the Hill) is a small town just 3 miles from
Merthyr Tydfil in south Wales. It is located in one of the valleys whose natural
beauty charmed travellers and writers in the days before the Industrial
Revolution. By 1850 terraces of small stone houses had been built for the
families drawn to the area by the prospect of employment in the developing iron and coal
industries. Please see the
Troedyrhiw Times site for more information about this attractive place
and its history.
||The overgrown area to the left of the picture is the site of Capel
Saron and its graveyard. The remains of the chapel were
demolished around 1980 and nature is slowly reclaiming the graveyard.
We can assume that James Jones was
familiar with this route up to the old chapel.
||Brambles and ferns surround the elaborately carved headstones in the
chapel's hillside graveyard.
||Some of the headstones are lettered in the Welsh language and they are
of such quality as to imply a degree of affluence within the
||A stone terrace in Troedyrhiw. The windows have been modernised and
the Welsh roof slates have been replaced with tiles in recent times.
||The Carmel Chapel, built in the early 1850s. Troedyrhiw has an
assortment of 19th century chapels, most of them now unused and sadly
dilapidated. This is an austere example but many Welsh chapels, especially
those built in the second half of the century, were very